Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Midway shows 35 listings for the 300 WSM, 3 in stock, prices starting at $67 and up! I owned one, a custom barreled Win 70 FWT, it was nice, sold it to a guy on the CF many moons ago.

On the other hand, Midway lists 103 options for the 30-06 with 64 in stock with prices beginning at $25.

As much as I think the WSM is fine, the '06 is the easy button of 308 cal. if the "308" is not your fancy (I have both).

Also, 76/36/$29 for the 300 Win Mag

That's what I eventually decided, after owning quite a few .300 magnums, including the three WSMs mentioned, several .300 Winchesters and a couple of .300 Weatherbys. Plus, the .30-06 is pretty close to the .300 WSM with newer bullets and powders. My latest handload for my Ultra Light Arms .30-06 is the 175-grain Barnes LRX and the maximum charge of IMR4451 listed in Hodgdon's data for 175-grain bullets--which gets around 2850 fps. Plus, have taken big game out to around 500 yards with the ULA, sometimes with 180-grain factory loads, in North America, Europe and Africa.

But have also come to the conclusion that the major fault of the .30-06 it's too boring for many rifle loonies....

The 30-06 is often times the "easy button", as it should be. Especially when talking 30 cals. One of the things that sticks out the most in my mind about the difference between the WSM and the ol 06 is rifle mag capacity. 3 vs. 5, with the upper hand going to the 30-06. No one has mentioned this. Also, a 30-06 set up with the right bullet is devastating at any sane range anyone has business shooting to. So why the need for a 30 cal magnum? Yes, I have 30 cal magnums of many flavors, but none of them is going to replace my 30-06 rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA