I am now on my third 300 WSM, and I taught a friend how to Handload his (after I worked him up a 168 TTSX load). I love 300 Magnums, great Game killers. I gave the first one to my long deceased Pastor in Texas. It was when the WSM was first arrived. I had my great Smith (also gone now) rechamber a new/store bought Mod 700 Varminter to the WSM and install an inline Lazzeroni magazine box. It was for Beanfield deer, very accurate with the 180 NBT. Second one( I bought off a guy on LRHunting for $1200) was a Kimber 8400 with beautiful reddish brown French Walnut/SS that I worked up a load for(also 168 TTSX) and then gave it to my grand daughter. I had sold all 'inconsequential" (3) guns to buy a Mark V 338/06 ($1400) This is a Jewell of an elk/300WM replacement rifle! Anyhow, I had just got my Shilen SS barreled Mod 70 Fwt in 7x57 from my current gunsmith he put together for me. Its a shooter, and with its 25" barrel it is running on the heels of past 280's I've owned. However, I felt I needed to "bridge that gap" between them and was searching for an "inexpensive Spare" to take along on hunts. I saw many ugly, stamped metal/plastic junk guns out there, or basic Mod 700s that need another $1000/Plus to make them shoot/worth owning. Then, in a local paper, saw an older Gent selling his Kimber 8400 300WSM. He was done with hunting and I asked him "what would he take for it in cash that very night"? (he lived an hour away) I drove over and gave him his "unreal asking price", very much less than I paid for a store bought Tikka T3X Lite in '06" and brought home a like new, not a scratch on it quality rifle! He had only made one hunt with it. Pride of Ownership is a prerequisite for me now at 70. Blued steel/brown French Walnut. I'm having its trigger adjusted at another Smith's. I am going to work up a load with the Hammer 154 HHT for an all around load (deer to elk) and play with some other bullets I have on hand. I couldn't pass it up, only a Kimber in 84L Classic in 30-06 (I gave my grand daughter my 84L 270 I had too) would have made me as excited! lol You got to love this short life of ours! I've had several 300WMs too, plus a couple of 300 RUMS. Not a bad one in the bunch.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/26/24.