Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by oldotter
Not a competitive shooter, generally try to keep runout under .003" . Has anybody ever did a comparison of .005"+ runout to <.003" for group size?
Know it effects group size, but to what extent. Never seen data relating to that.

There's old articles that get into this. One of the oldest I've seen was from 1978, or so. Chet Brown was doing some testing, as he designed a concentricity gauge that could straighten and check the run out (TIR) of the loaded ammo.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In the non scientific tests I've done with it, I can say that run out does affect precision. How much, may depend on the specific rifle, since no rifle chamber, throat, bore are exactly the same.

A couple years ago, I tested some brass I received from someone here, for a new to me rifle, and the run out was atrocious. I sorted that brass, and found the straightest stuff, and did some comparisons. Here are some results, that seemed typical of this rifle and the testing I did:

Rifle: Ruger m77 mk2 300RSAUM. Glass bedded, and barrel freefloated:

Loads I tested that were pretty straight:

Loads that I tested that had a high TIR:

Retested some that had a consistent .005" TIR:
I generally don't run ammo that is this far out of concentricity, but brass is hard to find for this cartridge. I make due, but tossed everything that was .006" TIR and larger.

Tested and confirmed at 400 yards, to be sure the rifle and load is shooting sub moa out at that distance:

This testing is always done on separate occasions, different days, and most times different conditions: Wind/temps:

Those tests were done in varying temps, as there are more variables to a good shooting rifle than just one. However, if you can minimize some variables, like loading straight ammo, that will always be a positive outcome. This has been my experience. Take it for what it's worth..
BSA, I'm curious that you tossed the brass with the high run out. Never tried it myself but wouldn't it straighten out from running it through a FL die then fire forming?

No, the brass had very uneven neck thickness variances. It was bad enough that you could see it with the naked eye. A tubing mic confirmed it though. A guy could turn the necks, but I don't have the equipment to do that. Most brass is good, but this was just a bad lot I guess?? It was R-P manufacture.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA