Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It depends on the level of accuracy you're looking for--and whether the cartridge is chambered in a typical factory rifle, which may have a looser chamber than a custom rifle. It also depends on whether the ammo's full-length or neck-sized.

'Morning, John. As usual, you've brought up some good points based on experience. smile So much of what what we see with 'run out', (in terms of accuracy) depends on many things....primarily how the case fits the chamber, is there any amount of unsized neck to help align the neck in the chamber, how straight the throat is relative to the chamber, how long the free bore section of the throat is and the amount of 'jump' to the rifling the bullet has.

A guy can go around and around with all this stuff. crazy For me, the bottom line is simply what a particular rifle likes....especially with a factory gun.

Here's an example of some stuff I loaded yesterday in anticipation of a few days of decent weather for testing a new gun. With a lot of attention, my setup for my 30BR stuff can hold bullet run out to right at .0005. If I change to another die that leaves a bit of the neck at the bottom unsized, the tolerance for run out can be significantly more (up to .002) before I see any change 'on target'. But if I change the seating depth from a hard 'jam-seat' to a lighter seating depth, the situation is reversed. wink

For a huntin' and 'dog guns, if it's around .002, I'm happy. A 50 cent rubber 'o' ring under the lock ring on a f.l. sizing die and a good inline seating die can go a long way.

Good shootin' smile -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner