Had the chest cracked open in 1977 at the age of 27, after being in ICU for a a week; too unstable to transport to a major hospital. They seem to have in down pat -nowadays. Of course, nothing ever goes right the first time around. Had a blowout during a time of blood shortage; had to get blood from my Dad and nurse’s husband. Sometime in the midst of all this, I had an out of body experience. I was floating up above my body on the table watching one of the techs stapling up my sternum. I felt pain and winced and heard the tech tell the anesthetist “Better gas him again, he’s coming to!” I also felt complete peace like I was floating in warm water and had a chance to go to the “light” and beyond. I couldn’t because I had a 9 year old son that needed me. Hard, very hard to go back to my body. The surgical team was amazed by my story. I came down with hiccups- not fun after having your chest split open and wired back together 2X (twisted wire still shows up on x-rays. Had them for over 24 hours. Finally tech on night shift suggested packets of granulated sugar. Went to the cafeteria rounded up 2 handfuls, and after 8-12. It worked ! Do the breathing treatments and PT. Just remember , hard to overcome bad genetics tho. History of heart problems on both sides of the family. I have outlived my 3 brothers by many years. My father died at 62 and my mother at 56. I turned 73 in September. Lots of it due to marrying well the second time. We are now evenly yorked( I became a Christian like her and because of her example). I chose a different lifestyle than my family. Hard living is hard on the body. You, nor your doctors know when your time is up. They can only give you odds like Las Vagas. Your days are numbered like the hairs on your head - the Bible. This life is not the end. You have a soul that will live forever- somewhere. You have a choice as to where.

Last edited by carrollco; 02/25/24.