Well Angus I guess I'll give my 2 cents. I had open heart surgery in July 1964 at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. I had an extra piece of skin growing just before my aortic valve. Doctors took it out. They weren't sure if it would ever grow back again. When I got home after surgery I was told not to do anything. Yeah, sure 14 year old boys don't listen well. For the rest of my school years there was no sports except baseball. According to some of the doctors, if I had to run more then from home plate to 2nd base then I couldn't be on the high school team. I just smiled. Didn't say one word. Wouldn't tell them about running 4 laps around the football field then all the running drills, fielding and batting practice. Some how I lived.
The problems from the surgery started once I stopped growing. Seems every time it rained my back started killing me. Seemed my back was trying to pull itself apart. That went on for 44 years. Didn't help I was living in NW PA or NE OH. Rains quite a bit here.
Finally one night I was laying on my left side in bed. I took a breath and my back cracked right at the spot it always hurt. Seems a muscle got put out of place along my spine when I had the surgery. As long as I was rested, no problem. But if I was tired I was in a lot of pain.
So long story short, the surgery/recovery will probably go well. Just be aware that not everything gets put back in place where it should be. That causes lots of problems and no one will believe you. It's all in your head.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter