I am having some issues with extraction in an M1 Inland carbine. Upon firing, the extractor appears to slip over the rim and leaves the empty case in the chamber. If the bolt is allowed to return to battery and then pulled back again, the cartridge remains in the chamber. It slides easily from the chamber with a screwdriver or knife blade. This began to occur the last time I had this gun and ammo out though the extraction problems weren't to this extent.Then and now I was using Armscor ammo. The same box in fact. The extractor moves and seems to be under decent tension with no obvious damage. I did a full take down and cleaning after the previous outing in case it was dirty which actually seemed to have exacerbated the issue as it now occurs every time.

I also had some different but unidentifiable brand of commercial ammo which I tried. The empty case would extract but often stovepiped or remained laying on top of the magazine preventing the bolt from closing. The empties that did eject landed only a couple feet away at most.This piqued my curiosity regarding velocity. I had my chronograph in the car from an earlier outing so clocked a couple rounds of each. The Armscor were in the 1750 fps range with the other being slightly over 1800 fps. This is well under the ~1950 fps of military specs and probably explains the short throw of the empties that did clear the receiver.

My question is: Does anyone think this problem is related to the ammo rather than the extractor? In this small sample the higher velocity rounds extracted properly much of the time. It seems odd that the extractor would not slip over the rim to grip and extract the empties at the lower velocity but would do so at the higher but I don't know. The rim diameter and thickness seems to be up to spec so that shouldn't be an issue. It ran great with milsurp and some aluminum case last summer though I didn't chrono it for comparison.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks