OP, here. Lots of good suggestions; I'm trying to digest a good amount of it. A little more information. I'm using a Forster Coax press, and use the same reloading brands (i.e., Redding body, Lee neck, and Forster Micro-seater) for two other calibers. I'm only getting the seating runout with my .308.

Of the 200 or so pieces of Lapua .308 brass, I checked the runout on 30 pieces. Only two exceeded .001 variation. I measured the thickness on the 30 pieces and 23 were less than .001, with the remainder less than .015. I'm not running compressed loads on this one. I loaded 25 and found six that were between .005 and .009. The remainder were less than .002. I'm measuring about halfway between the case mouth and the ogive. Since I have very good luck with the Forster seating die in my other calibers, I'm beginning to suspect something is amiss with my .308 seater. Maybe I'll borrow a friends seater die to see what that produces.

For rounds that exceed .002, I just straighten them out with my homemade straightener until they're less than that. I'm not one to chase runout too much, as the rifle shoots extremely well with my straightened rounds. Perhaps this is an exercise in just wanting to know the answer due to OCD. .......or control issues?

Last edited by drakecasey; 03/03/24.