Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Please tell more about eating them???

The half grown ones are best but I have had full grown ones that were good too. Avoid touching the scent glands, wash your knife and change your rubber gloves after skinning them. I like to quarter them and cook over coals. Brush a little of your favorite barbecue sauce on just before done. I have heard all the stories " they stink - covered in fleas - taste terrible" But that's not my experience.

I have cooked dozens of them I shot in West Texas and they were all good.
btw - They eat prickly pear cactus.

Interesting! I’ve heard the same about many animals and typically they come from people who don’t know much about cooking or game preparation. Black bear gets a lot of bad attention in PA and many say similar things about them as far as being “edible” or not. Some of the best meat I’ve ever had was bear and many of those eating it had no idea what it was but no one complained and most thought it was excellent. I’d love to try Javelina and if I ever get a chance I will! I’d probably use the .25-20, .256 win mag., 22 Hornet, 32-20 or something in that category. Going after one with my 1873 Winchester in .32-20 would be great fun!!

Good luck on your hunt!

PennDog

You beat me to it. I was going to say pretty much the same thing and use the black bear analogy. I love bear meat. For a hunting rig given the size and country I’d get a good 5.56 AR. Accurate, fast handling and a quick follow up shot available for a finisher or second opportunity.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.