Originally Posted by Stophel
It's funny, they talk about how you can't expect any bolt to last 5000 rounds without having to change extractors or springs, or whatever, and how this bolt actually held up pretty well...but then he complains about the gas seal problems (to which the "Asian guy" says a new gas tube and set of rings would fix right up). Changing an extractor at this point is considered S.O.P. (even on the Gucci guns), yet this extractor is fine, and somehow having to change rings and a gas tube is not really acceptable...

And the barrel... He complains about an accuracy loss after several thousand rounds (full auto) and proclaims it "done". No cleaning, and no investigation into any other possible reasons for this accuracy loss. Perhaps something had gotten loose or out of whack, who knows. And the "Asian guy" looks down the bore, and by golly, it don't look bad....

And at the end, after the gun is "done", it's still shooting! Only the occasional hiccup, which was deemed easily fixable. And while accuracy was way down (for whatever reason), I bet you could still get good hits with it at normal combat ranges! But... this gun was deemed utterly unacceptable for anyone who is "serious about shooting". Holy crap. And he lets slip the little chuckle when talking about someone who doesn't have much money to spend on a rifle. What a snobby ass wipe.

Lucky Gunner, in their testing considered a barrel "done" when it started to keyhole. To me, that's a more objective measure of "done".

As for a bolt lasting 5k rounds, Army rates life of a bolt body at 30K rounds in the rife gassedM16a1/a2. I'm not sure what it is in the carbine gassed M4.

The article of the Vegas Machine gun shoot guys claimed they typically got 60K to 100K rounds out of a bolt body, and sometime even more.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell