Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by T_Inman
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread, or any other of these hair splitting velocity threads recently is that for a given bullet at X velocity vs Y velocity, that velocity gap closes the further downrange you get. You may start out 100 FPS faster from the Wby, but it may only be 50 FPS faster at 300 yards, depending on particulars.

All at the expense of more recoil, muzzle blast and powder. I believe (not 100% sure and I don’t feel like crunching the numbers to confirm) that the lower the B/C and the larger the initial velocity gap is, the faster that velocity gap closes.

There is a reason so many hardcore long range shooters have migrated to more mild rounds and higher B/C bullets.

I am just a hunter and don’t geek out on this stuff but find it amusing and interesting, to a point.
Or take a 300 Winchester that has a fast barrel and a 300 Weatherby that has a slow barrel and the window becomes even smaller.

Twist affects velocity? Can you explain that?
Is it because it takes more pressure to spin a given bullet faster, and more pressure equals more velocity?

Like I said, I don’t geek out in this.