Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Barnes 168 TTSX bullets recovered from cow elk shot at 617 and 628yds. Starting velocity was 3250fps. We've shot truck loads of deer between 10 and 800yds and never recovered a TTSX using the same load.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That picture is troubling.
That depends. Impact speed is likely getting pretty low at those distances, so performance may be right inline with what one would expect.

A quick guess puts it at about 22-2300fps, which is far over what Barnes claims is their minimum for that bullet. Doesn't leave very much room for a guy that wants to use that bullet in a .30-06 or .308.
Knowing no particulars except MV, I'd SWAG it more like 2100 fps at impact. Regardless what Barnes cites by bullet, I use 2200 as the floor for all TTSX and 2000 for LRX. Not a.big deal for me as I don't shoot far enough for that to come into play. But if I was at or below those numbers, I'd aim for big bones in the shoulders.
You wouldn't be worried about penetration? I'm going to try either 190 or 200 LRX bullets next year and worry about velocity at extended ranges.

I love the LRX.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]