Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by memtb
If there is a weakness in the Barnes bullets, it’s their lack of expansion at extended range due to “expected” velocity drop. If the hunter wants/expects full expansion…..the hunter must know the maximum range at which that will occur!

All of that said…..every bullet is range limited for expansion! memtb
If using monos and are concerned about expansion, check out Hammer, Cutting Edge and Lehigh.

These people are working on mono technology and have some interesting products. Not cheap, but they work.

I like Barnes, but also like the newer mono technology.

Check'em out.

DF

Thanks DF. I’m aware of the Hammers and been a forum member over there for several years.

The Hammers appear to be a great bullet, and apparently very easy to find an exceptionally accurate load quite easily/quickly. They are in constant research and development. They have two or three guys over in Australia killing hundreds of animals of all sizes, while using different weights and calibers of Hammers. They do a lot of field autopsy work to determine how the bullets performed. I know at about what velocity my bullets will not give complete expansion, which is a few hundred yards farther than I’m comfortable shooting…..so, I don’t fret about expansion. But, for those shooting at extreme ranges…..it should a concern to note!

I haven’t tried them yet, as I’ve a bunch of Barnes bullets on hand and have a great load (it seems) with them. If I were doing more hunting, and components were more readily available and maybe less expensive …..I’d probably try them! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/11/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024