I know a man who used to hunt elk, deer, etc. Then he quit hunting. I asked him why he quit as I knew he enjoyed hunting. He said, "i can't get cell coverage up in the mountains."

I said, "What the hell difference does it make? Long odds are you'll not have an emergency and even if you do, your hunting partner will give you a hand."

He said, "That's not it. My grand kids call me a lot and I like to talk with them."

I said, "Can't you talk to them when you're not out seeking the wily wapiti?"

He said, "Well, they ask me for money. I've got plenty so I give them what they ask for. I love my grand kids."

I asked, "How do you do that when you're out hunting?

He said, "I have an app in my phone that allows me to transfer money from my bank account to their bank accounts. If I can't get cell coverage, I can't help my grand kids."

I said, "Why don't you just take them hunting with you? Then you don't have to listen for a call."

He said, "They don't like to hunt or camp out." He laughed a bit embarrassed, "They like clean sheets and hot running water."

I said, "Oh. Well that sounds reasonable." I dropped the subject. As far as I know, he still does not go hunting.

I have an Iphone but never turn it on. I use it if I have an emergency in my car. Call AAA and they solve my "emergency." My land line phone takes care of my "communication" needs. If someone wants to talk with me, he/she has my land line number. Yep, I'm still in "dinosaur mode." grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)