Mike, you recommended that book before, but I have yet to get it on my nook. Maybe a kindle would have been a better choice? I usually look in B&N for reading material.
I always appreciate your post on these threads. Very often you turn me onto something that I missed. I usually end up learning something new!
Next time you’re up this way, I’d be honored to buy you supper and jaw jack a while!
I have threatened to jump in the truck and Drive to Texas! I have read much about it, and I pray I’m able to come back down there and explore sometime. You and Kaywoodie acting as tour guides!😀
Heck maybe the 3 of us can head up to Montana and see the Little Bighorn battlefield with Shrapnel. That would be the trip of a lifetime for me!😀
Earlybird, Picket didn’t arrive until late afternoon/evening on 2 July. Way too late to take part in that day’s festivities. By then, he had the only division of Lees army that hadn’t been engaged, and thus, full strength. That’s why the assault on the third day fell in his lap!
Lee originally wanted Longstreet’s entire corps, but the heavy losses on 2 July and the fact he would be stripping his right flank made him decide to use Pettygrew and Trimbles divisions, both used up rather roughly handled already, instead.
I often wonder why Lee, a very capable general, would insist on fighting this battle hampered as he was by lack of accurate reccon.
I have heard that he had maybe suffered a slight heart attack in the spring, I also heard the rumor that he was suffering from dysentery when the battle was fought. “Marse Robbert has got the runs,” so to speak!😀
Whatever the fault maybe, one has to admit that Gettysburg was probably his most poorly fought battle.
Definitely an anomaly considering most of his fights, and I can’t see Stonewall making a difference.
Lee was always closer to Pete. His tent was always pitched closer to the second corps.
Some suggested this is because he had to supervise Longstreet more closely, but I think that the myths of his performance is pretty clouded by the attacks that came after Lee’s death and Pete became a Republican.
As I said, no one ever slighted his leadership prior to these two events!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden