Of all the sabot slugs I've fired, Hornady SSTs 300 grain 2000 fps are the quirkiest. I've shot them in fast and slow twist barrels. They definitely seem to group best out of slower twists. My Savage 212 with a 1/35" twist would group them into 1 inch at 100 yards. My Ithaca M37 with a 1/28" barrel would barely hold 10 inches at 100 yards. My Browning Maxus slug with a 1/28" won't group them very well, either. I've shot them from a Mossberg with a 1/36" (I think) and they grouped well using open sights. So they definitely seem to like a slower rate of twist. Your Mossberg may shoot them well. They have a lot of recoil. A gas gun will help soak that up.

I will say that of all the shotshell makers out there, Hornady is my least favorite. Their rims sometimes seem to be undersized and sloped. I've had a lot of extraction issues with Hornady SST slugs. Even guns with dual extractors will sometimes fail to pull them. I've shot so many different slug brands, I am convinced Hornady is doing something wrong. Ones I've calipered were smaller than Federal, Remington, and Winchester shells.

I've also have cycling problems with them, and some were noticably out of round.
--

I have not had as many problems with Hornady Whitetail 325 grain sabot slugs. They are heavier than SSTs, and not as fast. The shoot reasonably well out of any gun I've shot them in. Though I have had some extraction issues.
--

My go-to sabot slugs now are Remington Accutip 385 grain. They shoot very well out of all my guns. They will hold a couple of inches at 100 yards but that is using a non-magnified red dot. I've since mounted a variable power scope and hope to bring that to an inch or so. And they pack a whollop. Great slug no matter the twist - fast or slow, they seem to group very well.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/26/24.