The small farmer can do well , but they have to change . They can't just milk 50 cows anymore. They need to find nitch markets. I know a guy down the road that did very well for a long time.. He sold chickens that were " pasture raised". He did pigs and beef. He got $30 lbs for those tenderloins, so there are nitches out there. You cant be out in the middle of nowhere like Jim Conrad though. His buyers were "upitty", Sabaru white collar urbanites that though highly of themselves for buying local. ( never mind it was an 80 mi. round trip) There is money to be made though. Also this neighbor sold 23 ac. for $243K and went to do something else. I am not sure why. Perhaps his customers found it was not worth it.. I dont think he worked all that much neither. He raised 4,000 chickens though, and turkeys too. He likely just got sick of dealing with liberals cause they are very conservative and couldn't stand their attitude.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23