Most of my rifles run scopes in 3x9X and that includes the 30-06s. My M70 Featherweight has a 2x7 compact with works nicely ffor that 7x57 although rankly I'd prefer a bit more powder in the upper range of that scope. Most of the time I do sight ins and load work ups at 9X and hunt with the scope set at 3X. I also practice off the bench set at 3X.

I did pick up a Minox 22.5x10X for half price but haven't decided which rifle to mount it on. I do have a commercial FN Mauser 30-06 (Not a J.C. Higgins m50 of which I have several) that has a barrel of unknown twist rate that is fair with 150 gr. bullets and a disaster with 180 gr. bullets. Never tried 200 but it did shoot 220 gr. round nose fairly well. The 180 gr. regardless of round or spitzer type just plain didn't shoot worth a damn. (3" to 4") Think t's be a waste of time I did a work p with the 165 gr. Accubonds and damned if they didn't shoot MOA and less. They seemed to prefer being at 2800 FPS so that's where I use them. Took down a nice cow elk with that load and rifle. I have some Sierra 165 gr. Game King HPs and Speer 165 gr. Hot Cores so will be giving them a try to see if they work as soon as it gets a bit warmer. I< think I might still hav a few Partitions as well and if so will try them as well.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE