Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Just that

Cold ham here
yes. Either. Which brings up bacon. Warm or cold.

Bacon and ham are the same thing but when I eat bacon out of the package everyone gets weird and says its raw bla bla bla. Bacon is cured just like ham. We did it all the time here butchering and may do it again some day...
Bacon and ham are not the same thing. Both are from a hog, that’s it.

Almost all hams are “fully cooked”. There is pre-cooked bacon, but most bacon actually is raw.

You do you, but too much risk for me to eat uncooked bacon. Beside, cooked bacon tastes better.

Both are cured in salt, sugar, cure (sodium nitrite) then smoked.

Ham is usually smoked(cooked) to an internal temp of 152-155* , it is then considered fully cooked. Unless you are talking something like a Country Ham that is dry cured, different process.

Bacon is often cold smoked to a temp of about 125* ( raw), chilled then sliced. Some people when making their own bacon will smoke cook it to an internal temp if 152-155* which technically is fully cooked, but looks and feels raw. I bring mine to 125*.

The cures used in bacon these days render it just as safe as ham.

Factor in we have cured bacon the same way as ham for as long as I've been here, going on 60 years and I know of ZERO issues with either done that way.

We have never run ham up to those temps. Or sausage etc... Try dry sausage. Or jerky.

These days the commercial folks run it all up to temps where its nasty. But in the end "raw" bacon will not harm you. I prefer it raw or barely cooked over re killing it into shoe leather.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....