Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
That oughta do it!
I forget how many #9's per ounce, but an ounce and 3/4 should have about a gazillion!

I read an article and its less TSS 9's pellets per ounce than lead pellets because its heavier than the lead. (article reference - Bryce towsley in american hunter last march)

On a side note... I see on face book about custom hadloaders getting huge 2 ounce pay loads in 20 gauge and I always wonder what the increased pressure does to the gun, especially semi-autos.

There are way, way more TSS 9’s than Lead 5’s in a load. TSS is denser shot therefore “heavier than lead”. There are reference charts to show pellet counts out there, but the shot is weighed out to whatever payload is in that load.

I personally don’t shoot over 1-5/8 ounce in a 20 and stay at 2 ounces or less in a 3” 12 gauge hull.

Check your math.

If they they weigh the shot load they put in for TSS and the TSS pellets are almost 2X heavier, it takes a lot less of them to make the same weight.

Public apology - I missed you stated #5s.

The article I sited was a guy comparing lead 9 to TSS 9 being less pellets.

And TSS is 18 Gm per CC
Lead pellet density is 11.35 on google.
So TSS is about 50-60% heavier than lead.

Not 2x, but way more than 18%

“Weight” and “density” get used interchangeably, but they’re not the same thing. At all. I think that’s where a lot of the confusion comes into play.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.