Originally Posted by RJY66
One of my tenants works over in SC and lives here in Georgia. The other day she got pulled in SC for having either a tail or tag light out. This is what is called a gateway stop. The cop pulls you for something minor because he can and it gives him a chance to check for warrants, guns, drugs, bodies in the trunk, whatever.

Anyway, the cop writes my tenant a ticket for the tail light being out and tells her she has to get a receipt for the repair, bring it to court, and the judge will dismiss the ticket. Turns out the court date is gonna put her in a bind as she is getting married the week of it so she told me she is just gonna pay the ticket and get two points on her license. The ticket is 200 dollars. For nothing.

I am a supporter of law and order but this kind of BS grinds my gears no end.

Had I been the cop I could not have put the young woman through all that BS over nothing. I would have told her to fix it and if I caught her again with it out then she was gonna get it. I have had cops tell me the exact same thing. But this Dickk had to write her up. Its not like there are not enough idiots driving like bats out of hell that they needed the money from this.

I hate it when the truth gets in the way of a good story but I have to call Bullshit here! After getting the ticket, which included a court date, the lady found that the date was inconvenient. No problem, call the court ( their phone number is on the ticket) and request a continuance. Happens all the time and they will set it for the officers next court date. You will have no problem getting a continuance considering the reason.

Second…a person gets demerit points on their license after being convicted of Moving Violations. Such as Speeding, Reckless Driving, Disregarding a Traffic Light, etc. She was cited for an inoperative tail light. That is an Equipment Violation! You don’t get demerit points for Equipment Violations!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...