Gentlemen,

I'd be grateful if those with bullseye knowledge and experience, would be willing to provide general pointers and suggestions for someone interested in a true "bullseye capable" pistol. Not just a good shooting iron, but the real deal for 50 yard competition.

I was originally looking for a 38 Master, and may still buy one, but the focus now is a 1911.

• I have a .22LR, that I will upgrade first
  • I don't own a single 1911 now, and only had an old Colt rattletrap for a very brief time
  • Will probably use a red dot, unless there is a compelling reason not to
  • Not sure that I would actually compete, but I do enjoy informal "precision" rifle shooting, and do intend to shoot 50y
  • I also like to tinker, and might be capable of fitting parts and am not opposed to buying some tools
  • I'd like to do the upgrades with my kids, and have them see what if any improvements are made
  • I'm also not opposed to learning with a decent base 1911, and sending it to a top BE gunsmith either
  • I am a handloader, and have made some very good 45 ACP loads for revolvers
  • Budget - open, but might end up with several pistols depending on kids' interests!

Any recommendations for books?

Websites? I've been reading at Bullseye-L Forum.

Organizations or clubs?

I have come to realize that there are many very fine 1911 makes/models out there, but they are not necessarily suitable for BE no matter the cost. I've also been intrigued by the mechanical design of the 1911, that suits it to BE shooting. Very cool stuff, and I am excited for this "journey".

Thanks,

Jason