My first thought is that they are one of the few bargains on the custom rifle market. Melvin has consistently refused to raise his prices any faster than inflation and materials, unlike some other makers, because (and this is a quote) "I want the average guy to be able to afford one."

This is despite the fact that this stance has caused some marketing problems. One question he often gets is, "How can your $3000 rifle be as good as So-And-So's $6000 rifle?" I have shot and owned a bunch of "modern" custom rifles (syn-stock push-feed type) and have yet to find one that would do anything a NULA wouldn't--and many that wouldn't do things a NULA can.

The NULA would not be my first choice as a dedicated dangerous game rifle, though plenty of people have used them that way. For everything else it would be hard to imagine a more practical hunting rifle.

They balance better than any other lightweight I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. This is because the light action allows more weight to be put in the barrel, out where it helps hold the rifle steady. Some people actually prefer a little heavier barrel on NULA's for this reason. I have had no problem with the #1 contour, but often choose a 24" #2 myself, just because it holds a little steadier--and the rifle is still REALLY light. My .30-06 has this barrel, and still weighs 6.5 pounds with a typical 12-ounce 3-9x scope.

I have hunted with NULA's up to .300 Winchester Magnum and never had any problem with the recoil, but I have also never had any problem killing any big game animal with somewhat lighter rounds either. The .30-06 is a really good choice, but so is the .270 or 7x57 or .284 or .280 or whatever.

The big thing is that (as somebody already said) if you buy an all-around NULA you will probably want another one anyway pretty soon, and maybe more than one. Melvin makes a great varmint rifle too! And a NULA in .257 Roberts or whatever deer cartridge you like is pretty addictive as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck