Ruger438: Don't let ANYONE tell you there is something a 223 Remington will do that a 204 Ruger won't do better in the Varminting arena!
I know better!
I have shot some huge Rock Chucks with both calibers and the 204 Ruger is every bit as lethal on them as the 223 Remington - in fact for complete cessation of movement I give the edge to the 204 Ruger!
I am the proud owner of 9 Varmint guns in caliber 223 Remington and have been shooting this caliber since "day one"!
I also have 4 Varmint guns in 204 Ruger and have been putting these Rifles through their paces for nye on 4 years now and the 204 Ruger is rated above, to head and shoulders above, the 223 in performance categories like lethality, flatness of trajectory, lack of recoil, wind bucking ability and efficiency! AND, I am leaning towards declaring the 204 Ruger cartridge as also being slightly more "inherently" accurate than the 223 a little more proof is needed here for this item though!
And thats saying something! As the 223 is a splendid round.
There are other issues that have me giving the kudos to the 204 Ruger above the 223 - I better not mention them all as I have no declarative first hand proof yet just strong indications of these things like brass life and barrel life being similar or neck and neck between the two!
The 22-250 is a dandy round and I presently shoot 5 of them - but again for all around usage the 204 is superior to this round as well!
And thats saying something! As the 22-250 is a splendid round.
The correct answer to your inquiry is: go with the 204 Ruger - put PLENTY of scope power on it, hang on and have a performance ball!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy