I had (am having) a hard time "explaining" to an "E-mailer" that I feel 1/4" adjustments in a scope used for Varminting is "FINE enough" in the way of adjustments!
Part of my "difficulty" in satisfying his opinion (he feels a scope must have 1/8th inch adjustments to be an "effective" Varminting optic!) is that I am not able to relay convincingly anyway, that with a scope having 1/4" adjustments your bullet is going to be able to be adjusted to "within" 1/8th of an inch - of a Varminters intended P.O.I. (point of impact).
Our conversation has subsided now but I am not sure I successfully relayed my thoughts to him.
He wants a Leupold scope in 6.5x20 power range but it comes only with 1/4" adjustments - where as a Nikon in the 6x24 power range has 1/8" adjustments.
I can visualize what I want to relay to him but its hard to "verbalize" or write down my opinion on the 1/4" vs/ 1/8" adjustments.
I have used the Leupolds by the dozens over the decades with their 1/4" adjustments and have not felt lacking in any of my Rifle/scope combos to date.
I quit shooting though out at 550 to 600 yards.
I also own several Nikon 6.5x20's with the 1/8" adjustments and do not feel they offer a significant advantage over the 1/4" adjustable Leupolds (and several other brands I own with 1/4" adjustments).
Any thoughts on Varminting with 1/4" adjustment scopes vs. 1/8" adjustment scopes?
I certainly would not pass on a scope because it had 1/8" adjustments but I also would not pass up a scope because it ONLY had 1/4" adjustments.
If I am "calculating" things correctly with a 1/4" adjustment scope a shooter could CHOOSE his point of impact and be within 5/8" of an inch out at 500 yards (5 times 1/8" at 100 yards - or 5/8") whereas with a 1/8" adjustment scope a shooter could choose his point of impact and be within 5/16" of an inch at 500 yards (5 times 1/16" at 100 yards = or 5/16") - there are a lot of "condition variables" that would make a lot more difference out at 500 yards than the difference inolved by using a scope with 1/4" adjustments vs. a scope with 1/8" adjustments!
Am I making my contention clear here?
Would enjoy your views, preferences and/or opinions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I am dealing/shopping right now for a new scope to be used on my XR-100 in 22-250 Remington caliber. And I want a high power variable (6.5x20 or 6x24 etc for it) and the click adjustment values are not high on my priority list - price is foremost criterion and quality is right next to that!