Originally Posted by pabucktail
I wonder if this is another one of those deals where handloaders are SOL due to the use of non-available powders. That issue pretty much ended any interest I had in the .338 Federal.

pab..,

If you mean the 370 Mag, I haven't a clue.

If you mean the 9.3 absolutely not. The 9.3X62 is as easy to load for as a 35 Whelan.

I've only used RL-15 with 286 & 270 gr bullets, but Nosler recommends VV N135 and IMR 4895 as well. With 250gr Noslers they recommend IMR 4064,Varget and VV N140. Those are all very easy to come by powders on my side of the planet. Surely there are others as well.

The round is NOT a 9.3 Whelan. The case is a bit bigger than an '06, bigger in circumferance, longer in the body and the rim appears a bit thicker as well. You CAN blowout '06 brass and make it work alto the neck is a bit longer.

Bottom line: bullets, brass, dies and many workable powders are easily available for the 9.3X62 even tho it's one of those 'scarry metric numbers'. Factory ammo (yuk) is even available thru Graffs.

Tho many disagree, I veiw it as a .375 lite and superior to the 35 Whelan. If you 'need' one, jump in there and don't look back.

Too old to suffer fools