I have a Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag with a barrel that is quite heavy. I have considered having it fluted or turned down but decided against it. I have one other 7mm Rem Mag, a 7mm Dakota and a .300wsm. That power range/diameter is pretty well covered. I have decided to have the barrel re-bored to something bigger as my only big bores are a .358 Win and a 45-70; neither a long range proposition. Even though what I already have will handle elk/moose/black bear nicely, I need to have a reason; so I guess that is what I will use it for. I would want to be good to 400 yards, in the case of a long shot at elk. I would think that with bullets in the 250 grain range, the the 338 will be a little slower and the 375 should be fastest by a 100fps or so. The 338, however, will have a better sectional density and higher ballistic coefficient, and at longer ranges will have higher velocity and slightly flatter trajectory. So, finally we get to the question- am I better off with the higher BC and SD of the 338 or the larger diameter of the 375, or should I split the difference and go with the 358?

Also, I am thinking that the .375/.300 Win should give slightly better velocity than a 375 H&H because, according to my Barnes manual, the Win case has a couple grains more capacity. What do you think?

BTW- The reason I don't just dump the rifle and do something different is that this rifle is the first one I ever bought as a young teen with proceeds from my trapline. I put God knows how many rounds through it (I bought primers by the thousand for it) and the action is now incredibly smooth. Besides that my 'smith does a great job with the re-bores.