Originally Posted by Oregon45
I've become acclimated to the recoil from my 30-06's, which isn't bad, but I'm thinking about building a rifle that would have near equal effectiveness on lighter game, but would be a meaningful step down in recoil. Any thoughts?

I know rifle design plays a large, if not determinative role, so assume that the rifle will have a wood stock of classic dimensions, with a Pachmayr decelerator pad.

I was considering this exact point last Summer, & I settled on a 7mm-08. After all was said & done, I found no appreciable difference in recoil between these 2 rifles when shooting 180 grain or smaller bullets in the '06, and 140's in the '08. If I step up to 220's in the '06, then I can notice a difference. Granted, I didn't compare "exact stock to exact stock", but the weight of the 2 rifles is very nearly equal.

I've come to the realization that my '06 fits me like a glove, and will do everything that I need it to do, with complete aplomb. Further, I've found that there's nothing my 7mm-08 rifle will do that my '06 won't. And that's why I now have a 7mm-08 rifle for sale in the Free Classifieds forum!

I do have a .243 that I perceive as a goodly step down in recoil from my '06, but I can't offer any opinions on the others in between: .244, 257 WBY or Rbts, .260, 6.5x_____, .270, 7mm________, etc, since I haven't shot any of those. I guess I've proven to myself that there's some credence in the notion of "cartridge spacing".

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC