Oregon45 �

Since you already have a .30-06 a very good place to start would be a .25-06 or, if you reload, a .257 Roberts.

The .25-06 is, IMHO, the best dual-purpose cartridge available. There is an excellent variety of factory ammo, it is well suited to low volume varminting and is an excellent choice for deer and antelope. More than a few elk have fallen to it as well and I much prefer a 120g .257� bullet for elk over a anything in a .243. If you handload the .257 Roberts is an excellent choice. (My .257 Roberts +P loads give up very little to the .25-06.)

For the guy shooting factory ammo and only wanting a big game rifle there are several other good choices including the .260 Rem, 7mm-08 and 7x57.

For sheer fun it is very hard (impossible?) in a big game cartridge to beat the .30-30. Significantly less recoil than a .30-06 yet a 170g bullet will still carry 1000fpe at 200 yards � more than enough range and power for most needs. Furthermore, no battery is complete without one.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.