Triggerguard.....I hear ya on the 800 yd 223 plinking. I do it with light bullets in calm winds and it is a blast to bust a full coke can at 700+. I cant do it very consistantly because the 52gr bullets are running out of steam, but it is fun. If I put the can at 800 it is almost impossible as a lot of the bullets go through the target keyholing.

I usually have some 6 inch or so square boxes that reloading supplies are shipped in laying around. I put a target spot on a couple of them and get the nephews to ride the ATV down range and just drop one box each for me and a shooting partner anywhere between 600 and 800 yards. we practice ranging, dialing in drops and shooting these boxes with bigger centerfires. I think this practice technique has help me more than anything. At first I was astonished at near hits. After a while you are not surprised when you hit the box. A while later you lose astonishment when you hit the 2 inch target spot.

I forgot to mention only one shot is allowed. If you miss you have to walk down and reteive the box. If you hit the orange target spot your shooting partner has to go get both boxes unless he hits orange also on his box. After you have walked it a few times you get pretty competitive. It is good practice and exercise.