Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
Originally Posted by muledeer

1. That was my impression, from a co-worker I once had who was born in Norway and went back every couple of years to hunt moose (elg) and reindeer on the family estates. I've read a little about hunting in eastern Europe, as well, and it seems as though some of that country is also pretty wild and unruly.

2. Are there still places in Europe where brown bears can be legally hunted?

3. How easy is it for Europeans to travel from one country to another to hunt, under the EU? Better, or not, than before?

thanks,

Dennis

ad 1. Well, many parts here are crowded with people which does not mean there is no good hunts. ~350 k hunters kill well over 1,15 mio. roe deer and 0,6 mio wild boar in GE.
There is very wild country in the north - Scandinavia - and in the east. I took two moose in Sweden last fall and although the Euro mooose is comparable to a Shiras only, it is real work.

ad 2. Brown bear is common in Skandinavia, in the East, and the Alps. in Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Rumania Brown bear are hunted on a regular base. Compared to your "socalistic" license system we do have a very capitalistic "area" hunting system - the ground owner holds all the hunting rights - so bear hunting is pretty expensive ($$ about like Grizzly in Alaska).

ad 3. Travelling even with guns is and was very easy in Europe, sometimes easier than travelling to the States (thanks to 9/11).

Outstanding! Maybe I can get one more tour in Europe!

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein