To be honest, I don't know, because I don't move in those circles. My exposure is limited to conversations with some shooters that are just on the verge of moving into Olympic level competition. They have trained and competed in the Colorado Springs facilites where literally every aspect of ones actions can be recorded and played back. They have the ability to continuously monitor sight picture, heart beat, eye movements, etc, and link those with the nanosecond that trigger pull occurrs and the pill leaves the muzzle. One of my frustrations that I've not worked on but am aware of is a need to work within the tectonics of my heartbeat. I suspect I could halve group size with some training in that area alone.

Acoustic units are used around here in Oregon for some local/regional indoor stuff. Given the accuracy demands of competition scoring and the small targets, they must be quite dependable and precise. I think they use impact sound on a physical target though, detected by 3 or 4 mics, to triangulate shot placement. Thus, one does not have uninterrupted flight with an acoustic system. Their real plus was that scores of the whole line can be updated as shooters progress through their shots.

From a little surfing, I believe the next generation units are employing photo-electric or lazer scanner techniques that can monitor bullet flight at several ranges without affecting trajectory. To date though, I think they have only been used to track a single POI much like the acoustic units. With that kind of setup, the argument could eventually be put to rest though. Maybe I can take it on after retirement with my yet to be acquired lottery winnings.

A more costly issue might be the 500+ yards of extension cord needed to set up the computers and targets at distant ranges. Have a good one. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 05/02/08.

1Minute