Please don't get your shorts in a wad over my post..and maybe I was less tactful than I should be, its a charcter flaw on my part and was not pointed at you or any particular individual..

As to bow hunting, the same thing could apply..but as I have always said on these threads it depends on how you use the questionalbe stuff..If you can sit in a stand or a known saddle and wack a bull at 50 yards the 30-30 is and always has been and excellent elk rifle, if you can stick an arrow in an elk at 15 to 20 yards with a broadhead that too is justifiable..

The problem is the honkers that blaze away at every elk they see with light caliber rifles..One could say that also applies to big bores but there is a difference IMO, a iffy shot with a big bore has a much better recovery rate, and that is from an old hunter who has had to follow up many wounded animals of all kinds. I have also seen elk shot with light calibers and the hunters would not go to the bottom of the divide and try to recover them or they were unable to make the walk down there and come back up. These folks should not use light rifles.

But I will admit that maybe I got a bit out in left field, that is because I am concerned about such things..so if I hurt anybodys feelings then I am sorry.

Last edited by atkinson; 05/18/08.