I just got back yesterday from the South Fork, Del Norte area. I have a friend who owns a ranch on the lower end of Embargo Creek, he runs cattle during the summer over much of 79. I'm very familiar with the area, have never hunted 79 but have hiked and fished over most of it and areas 80 and 76 sincee I was a kid. Not quite as much high country in 79 comparitively speaking, but that is where the elk will most likely be during the first season. Look near and around timberline (10,000+ ft) during the first season. Area 79 is where I have seen my only honest to goodness 30" mulie. Of course i didn't draw a buck tag for it yet!

Dad and I just scouted a fair portion of Area 80 right across the highway last week and everything was well above timberline, spotted a few groups of cows but no bulls.

Crowds could be a problem, but get AWAY from the roads and you can find elk. Get in shape, buy a good pack and GPS and let the other hunters push the elk to you.

Also, call the Forest service office and get a map of the Rio Grande National Forest, 79 falls within the Rio Grande national forest. It's not as detailed as a topo but can be used in conjuction with the topo to help you find roads, trails etc.

Good luck, I'll propably be right across the highway in 80 at the same time.

Bill