WheelchairBandit: I was up at the Westley/Richards high end Gunshop in Bozeman, Montana a couple months ago. I was perusing everything in the store from the fine custom "double Rifles" to the excellent variety of rare Hunting books when I came across an "item" with a large hanging tag on the "rack".
The tag said "hold for Tom Selleck".
I inquired of the proprietor if the tag was for the actor Tom Selleck and he replied yes he's one of our valued customers!
I too would also like to meet him someday.
Personally I never start conversations with the Hollywood types but once they say something to me, I gleefully engage with them!
I only wish I would have asked Mr. John Wayne for his autograph instead of just conversing with him back when I was working around him!
I worked with a fellow for many years sometime back. He and his wife would take a 2 week vacation to Hawaii every year. He would scuba dive and snorkel in the afternoons and his wife would go sit in their rental car outside Tom Sellecks island home during her husbands swim times!
She not only had an admiration for Mr. Selleck it was bordering on fanaticism! Anyway she would sit there for a couple of hours each day hoping to get a glimpse of him!
Now this was an otherwise normal/sane woman - yet she would "waste away" much of her vacation time hoping for a "chance" encounter with her favorite Hollywood type.
Thankfully I only have just a touch of what she had (star envy?).
You know another Oscar winner I got to rub shoulders with was Charlton Heston.
Back in 1997 I was asked to work on the security detail of the N.R.A. Annual Meeting and Convention. Mr. Heston was most gracious and very approachable and engaging throughout that week (during the convention and during the annual meeting).
May he rest in peace!
A true gentle man he was.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy