Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
So you two are saying Gray's used to be even better? What vintage should I be looking for? It and Sports Afield are the only two general sporting magazines that I currently will buy.
Scott

Scott,

If you step back to early 90's you will find significantly less advertising and it was largely restricted to the back of the magazine. Articles ran contiguously and there was none of this "continued on page 83" stuff. There was always a letters to the editor column that was usually interesting and every issue had a couple of short stories in the back from unknown contributors called "Yarnspin" and a good book review section. The photography may have been better, maybe I'm just used to the current stuff.

The only better point in the newer magazine (IMO) is the cooking section. When Rebecca Gray wrote it it was in a "menu" format for a complete meal (and invariably good) but I think AJ's current column is more interesting in that it covers themes of a certain food (e.g. crayfish or pan cooked venison). I have both the fish and game cookbooks of Rebecca and when I want something special they are well worth cracking open (or searching for if you don't have them).

Allen

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated