Another 'gem' is the 6.5/308 aka 260. It will drive a good deer bullet well enough that I have for the moment stopped using the 7/08s, tad less recoil via 130 grains I am shooting, but loaded up w/like weights they are very simular in recoil.

Let's fact it, 95-99% of the game IMHO is killed under 300 yds, and likely 80-85% under 200 yds.

If someone wants a laser flat rifle for 400-1000 yds, there are specialty cartridges that will get down there better than a 7/08, 260 or 270, but if you are not intending, nor care to shoot past 400 yds, there is not much difference to spit, IMHO. Bullets ark heavily from 300-400 yds and range estimation has to be very spot on, rangefinders really help, but being off with a 'guestimate' can hurt,,,,,with any rifle. I'd rather shoot more rounds flinch free with 7/08, 260, 6.5x55 class rounds during practice and learn my rifle more.

Others who can do the same with magnum/mag class rounds my hat is off to them but I never felt....pun can be intended....it was as much fun to tolerate the increased recoil, blast, etc. and having to shorten my range sessions.