And whether the crimp does or doesn't work, it's theoretical intent is as a "safety precaution" to safeguard against the possibility of loose primers ending up under trigger assemblies, thus rendering the weapon immediately useless and/or temporarily inoperable........BTDT many times.

Brass used many times well within accepted pressure levels but especially newer, less used brass pushed towards the upper end pressure limits...........somethin's gotta eventually give. As Jeff said...............the primers are comin' out, crimp or no crimp. That has been my experience and the main reason that I'm not shootin' every second when visiting my varmint haunts. I can oftentimes be found fiddlin' around with tweezers and a small flathead in and around my BM's trigger assembly in a panicked attempt to extract said obstruction to get back into the game as fast as possible.

I've backed down a bit from my "ultimate varmint mistin' load", to try to prolong case life......it has done so, but ever so minimally. It's one of those happy medium things I guess.

Whatever the case, I've become an expert at extracting loose primers from in, around and under trigger assemblies which in truth, isn't the worst practice one could involve himself in. There is some truth in "having too much of a good thing" however.............grin.