Originally Posted by Lansend
Originally Posted by NathanL
I think Steyr ran into problems for a short while folling the start of the Iraq war. I think for a short period they were banned from importation to the US because they were selling to Iran. I could be wrong but I want to say that's what I had read.
That agrees with my recollection. The sales to Iran and use of the arms against U.S troops were never proved, but the controversy hurt Steyr's sales here. And I'm speculating that situation might have been part of WM's decision to drop Steyr.

Amazing how steyr got accused of something and people were ready to throw them to the wolves. I didnt see any GE products burning on the sidewalks but its common knowledge that GE has been in bed w/ iran.
New York's pension funds own nearly $1 billion worth of stock in these Halliburton, Conoco-Phillips and General Electric, which have operations in Iran and Syria.
NBC Universal is part of the GE empire, does anyone boycott NBC?

Coca-Cola markets its products in both Iran and Sudan, skirting U.S. sanctions policies.
How many of those AK's are made by steyr?

steyrs problems have always been one of distribution and lack of knowledge when it comes to the maerican market.

they have always, since stoger, used only small distributors that couldnt afford to pay for and stock enough rifles to be able to profit. Until steyr gets in bed w/ a big house the way tikka and sako have they will keep hitting the same wall.
As well how many ads in gun mags have you ever seen for steyr rifles?
Americans buy what they see advertised. rifle companies like kimber pay millions of dollars every year to buy the back full page of G&A. Those dollars are spent by steyr to produce quality rifles.
Steyrs are not expensive. they are less than Synthetic Sako 75 85's. They are cheaper than Montanas. those of us who have owned, shot and hunted with them rarely own just one.
the safety is second to none. the accuracy is amazing and the stock, while unconventional, may be the best recoil reducing design ever.
owners of the 7 pound 376 steyr will attest to that.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024