Originally Posted by ringworm
the safety is second to none. the accuracy is amazing and the stock, while unconventional, may be the best recoil reducing design ever.
owners of the 7 pound 376 steyr will attest to that.

While I am a fan of Steyr's and own a few I'm going to have to disagree with you on these two points here.
I like the location of the safety but it's not the best safety out there, it doesn't block the firing pin in all modes. It's possible to adjust the trigger light enough to where the gun will go off when dropped on it's butt while on safety. That won't happen on a M-70 safety because the safety isn't on the trigger it's on the firing pin.

The Stery stocks while functional are NOT best at reducing recoil. I remember that this was the first thing Jon Sundra commented on when he reviewed the 376 Pro-Hunter Stery, commenting that the stock ACCENTUATED the recoil. If nothing else the Recoil pads are not the best and do little to absorb and spread out the recoil. And yes I do own a 376 and have other 375 rifles to compare it too.

Steyr's are accurate well thought out rifles. I particularly am fond of the Scouts and hunt with one often (with a regular scope though). Wouldn't mind a few more, but I do know of the the problems with the safety's and stocks......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................