I know the 30-30 has killed an untold amount of elk. That's not really what I'm after. I am wondering what your personal experience has been with the 30-30 on elk. Personal range limit, load choice, optic set up and so on.

I'm trying to put together a two gun rifle battery with an old school theme. These guns will be used on whitetail 90% of their lives but elk will be on the table at some point. I have the first rifle taken care of. A bolt action with a variable scope that can take game from 0-300yds no problem. I went with a weatherby vanguard in 30-06 and a 3x9x40.

The second rifle will be a brush to mid range rifle for deer and a under 100yd rifle for that elk hunt down the road. I'm leaning heavily towards a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a set of XS ghost rings and a fixed 4x mounted on the XS Lever rail.

I know some would suggest a 300WM and 45/70 would be better suited, but I'm happy with the '06 and the 30-30 has a better range for whitetail sized critters.

Sorry to be so long winded on this, bottom line is I'd like to hear your stories of elk hunting with a 30-30.