I'd never heard they were too soft, quite the opposite actually but only about a half dozen or so uses that I personally know of. My one and only with the 416 was about equal to the same caliber with the A-frames. I just din't think once proved anything at all. I've taken an even dozen with nine different calibers and have concluded the most perfect caliber for buff is the 416 class rifle. With a well made 400 grain bullet at about 2400 fps, it's about the perfect balance for a comfortable rifle to shoot with a significant step above the 375 and still enough reach out capability for that kudu or sable of a lifetime that is out yonder a bit. So all my buffalo from now on will fall from one of the rifles of that ballistic niche, just trying to find the perfect bullet. The lion loads are very fragile and probably won't exit a 'possum, but the DT's are stronger built. A woodleigh won't exit from a 416 unless maybe broad side lung shot. They rarely cooperate that well for me.

During hard times and when in doubt I'll always take a Swift for the first shot on buff.