Originally Posted by DocFoster
The biggest mule deer i ever saw killed was shot by my uncle Harold McCallum with a handloaded 38-55 just out of Chemult Oregon in 1964. Three on one side and four on the other with about a 30 inch span. He had the head mounted but after his death i don't know where it went.
A side note is the rifle he shot it with was a Winchester 94 serial number 8. Harold collected Winchesters and hunted with a lot of them.
Doc

Harold McCallum. Hmm. That name sounds weirdly familiar. I don't know why. Winchester 94s ... I owned #239 once upon a time. It was a .38-55 but the barrel had been rebored from a .25-35, you could see the original stamping faintly. It was in bad shape. Front sight kept falling out of the dovetail, the action was so loose I'd have feared for my life if I'd tried to shoot it.

But what I really am replying about is Chemult. That country has some big deer. Any of you fellers ever stopped up at the Texaco station at Diamond Lake Resort? If you do, go inside. Last I was up there they had a collection of the most twisted up, massive, atypical mulies / blacktails I ever saw together. I was told most of them came from between the gas station east out on the pine slopes down to 97. Most quite a while back. I want one, just one, like that, and I'd die happy.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 03/17/09.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...