43Shooter, Your comments are perfectly useful to me. I think I'm out of the mainstream because I have so little scope experience even though I shoot a lot. My shooting is mostly High Power competition and vintage mislurp rifle matches, all with iron sights.

You had some general agreement with Boatammo's comments, but I'm not sure exactly what he meant or what you were agreeing with. Did you find the Leupold "picky" too?

I know some scoped rifles come up and the reticle and target are right there, others I have to sort of search around to find the image. Is that "picky"? I thought the problem was probably less when there was a wider image from a larger objective lens. But one of the questions I'm hanging on is whether a long eye-relief scope makes a compact rifle harder to sight. "Picky"? It does seem like the Leupold rimfire scopes have relatively long eye-relief for the type.

I want something trim and sleek on my woods rifle, and I doubt that I need more than 4X for reaching the top of a hardwood tree. Also, I'm at a point where seeing a foreign name on a luxury item diminishes my enjoyment of it. I can overcome that if a Nikon or Weaver, for instance, are really better choices. But if everything else is equal, the little extra for a Luepold is buying the satisfaction of seeing an American product every time I pick it up. (On my Serbian rifle! Ha!)

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~