I am about as big a .338 Win. Mag. fan as could be found, I have shot, hunted with and reloaded for this cartridge for over 36 yrs, have owned 12 rifles so chambered and own 5 now. Allen is, as he usually is, right on about this round and it's performance.

My interest in using a .338-06 is based on being able to build a rifle on a Husqvarna 4100 or Brno 21-22 series action; this will give me the lightest CRF rifle available and the power of factory .338 Mag. cartridges. A number of very serious mountain hunters I know here in B.C. have done this and our chronograph results bear this out.

I know that one can find a Husqvarna action in 7Mag, re-barrel it and have an extremely light .338 mag, but, the recoil level of this-I've tried it-is just too much for precise shooting. So, the very light CRF .338-06 is, to me, a niche rifle for my backpack hunting, I consider it to be superior to a .30-06 for this purpose, especially in Grizzly country.

I am interested in cutting equipment weight wherever possible as I am close to 58 and find backpack hunting somewhat more difficult than I formerly did. The problem is that I much prefer this to outfitter's camps and having a guide find my game, so, I have a real use for the .338-06.