One has to be carefull when offering advise on the internet, but I think I would be safe in saying that in TAnzania and Zimbabwe if the game scout says you can use a certain caliber or your Ph says so then your good to go..at least I have always been..Africans are a practical lot, most realize that caliber is not an issue but bullet placement and construction is..They also realize that you have backup with large bore rifles.

We have had many clients in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe shoot buffalo with 9.3x62 and 74s..The 9.3x62 can be handloaded to strictly legal in Zimbabwe btw as they have an energy figure and the 9.3x62 and 64 can reach that figure with handloads.

It is not uncommon for a youngster or lady to shoot their buffalo with a 7x57 or 30-06, and they always have a couple of backup huters..I have never seen or heard of this being questioned except by internet bloggers who might go upside down on it.

I even witnessed a nice lady punch and elephant through the heart with a 7x57 175 gr. solid, and the elephant ran about 100 yards and hit the ground dead, and the blood trail almost required rubber boots to walk in, blood spewed for 10 or more feet on EACH side of that elephant like a water hose!! I was pretty impressed btw..

I wouldn't recommend that practice but it does show that bullet placement and a proper bullet is more important than caliber. Still I prefer to stay with my beloved 40 caliber magnums like the 416 Rem or Ruger and the great 404 Jefferys.

Oh yeah, since this thread is about the 9.3 and 375, if I have a 9.3x62 or a 375 Ruger or H&H , I am perfectly content when I am amongst them...

Last edited by atkinson; 04/28/09.