Best guess about why some guns are "easier" to shoot than others is all about stock fit. I have one older Mauser sporter that is basically amazing.......and I've never been able to detirmine exactly why.

This rifle is VERY accurate from a bench and will keep 5 shots under an inch all the time.....sometimes hovering near 1/2" on a good day.

However, what makes ths particular rifle so good is what it does when the shooting is fast and furious. It just never seems to mss.....no matter what I do!!

Over the years I have pulled off some stunts with this rifle that just can't be explained. One late season hunt for meat deer......four deer, running, at 250 yards resulted in four skinning jobs. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to think......just throw up and shoot.

This past season, I topped a small hill and a good buck broke for the wild blue yonder. Running full out at 150 yards, through head-high clear-cut, the deer was popping in and out of sight as he jumped through the brush. I never thought....just pulled up the rifle and the scope found the bobbing deer and went off. After the shot, I honestly couldn't have told you IF I hit the deer, much less where I hit it....it simply disappeared. Walking out, I found him shot directly through the shoulders and dead.

Another time I was hunting in a very thick creek bottom where visability was basically limited to 25-30 yards......however, I saw a movement (just at daylight) at something over 100 yards away. Thought it was a bird flitting around, but the scope came to my eye just as a piece of antler moved through a "window" in the brush. I don't remember pulling the trigger, but the gun just sort of went off. I remember thinking after the shot....."did I really see a deer??", yes!!...."but did I really see horns??", yes, and they were GOOD!!

I walked out to were I thought the deer had been and there was a very nice 140-class buck shot through the shoulders. I later tried to recreate the shot and could find only a single 6" "hole" through the brush that I could have shot through. Can I explain it....no, but that rifle just seems to be "magic" and finds a way.

If this had happened once or twice, I'd write it off to luck.....but this has happened dozens of times over a 30 year period. There is just something about that particular rifle. I've even tried to duplicate the exact balance and stock of this rifle on others......and though I get close, none is "perfect" and shoots as well. Some are as accurate on the bench, but none feels the same in the field and has the "magic".

When you find a "magic" rifle.....don't queston it, just never let it go. That's probably the case with your 760.....logic doesn't apply, it just is!! But wouldn't it be great if we could figure it out and copt it!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know