Hey Ex,
You and I have had a few conversations about bullets and such already, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here anyways.

To answer one of your questions, yes, I've had a rifle, a M70 Classic in .338 Win. that never did like partitions, but shot the A-Frames very well. Killed my Brown Bear with that rifle and bullet. On the other hand, many of my rifles have shot both types of bullets equally well. I've never had a problem getting A-Frames to shoot accurately, but I can't say that about other bullets, including Partitions. It will probably just depend on what your rifle likes.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that will have much bad to say about A-Frames or Partitions. Both are excellent bullets. My opinion is that for elk and deer, you can count on great performance from each bullet at about any angle, especially in your rifle. From a ballistic standpoint, you're right that the lighter bullet will give you some advantage, but probably not enough to worry about under field conditions. Therefore, I'd choose whichever one shot the most accurately. If you're getting acceptable accuracy with both bullets, then I'd use the cheaper of the two unless you have a desire to use one bullet over the other just for experience sake.

Now, if you were going on a hunt of a lifetime, say for Brown Bear, Lion, Cape Buffalo, etc., then I personally would load the A-Frames since I have a greater amount of confidence in them than I do the Partitions. However, that is just my personal feeling and I doubt I'd ever run into any issues if I were to choose the Partition. Bottom line is that you can't lose either way.

Test