Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

The 140 NPT is a great bullet for deer in the 7RM. Many times it will blow the front portion off if launched fast, but the rear exits the majority of times giving a descent trail. That bullet is matched perfectly for deer IMO. The 140NAB is another good one as well.

loder

Exactly, in the case of the short range shots I've seen, they've made a small entrance wound and blown out about a 2 inch circle on the other side. On the longest shots we've seen massive wound channels and recovered the back half in some pretty random places inside the cavity, but mostly up against or in between the opposite ribs. Either way, that's a dead deer.

I think they're just about the perfect round for a broadside whitetail shot. They appear to transfer energy and create a good wound channel at short range and high velocities, and they seem to dump all of the energy inside on slower longer range shots. Pretty solid performance in my second hand experience.

As far as a "Texas Heart Shot" or a long quartering shot, I can't speak to their performance though. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience in shots that require longer penetration.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus