I can load down, or go up. If the 338-06 AI trips your trigger, then go for it. Me, I'm more interested in hunting than worrying about a few feet per second one way or the other.

I have hunting tools that'll do the job now, a custom rifle is more a labor of love, no?

As for up or down, I honestly see no meaningful difference between a 225 gr. bullet at 2700 (which I should easily hit with the AI) and 2750, which is Hornady's factory .338 WM load.

Now, the one unfair thing there is both of those velocities are from a 24" barrel, where many .338 WMs have a 26" barrel. It used to be that magnums that usually sported a 26" barrel got to report stats from those barrels, but times have changed I guess. How long is the barrel on your lightweight .338 WM? Also, what contour? Heck, post some pictures! lol

I could definately see the advantage to an Ackley over another wildcat though, if the caliber you were Ackleyizing was a common production cartridge. The 338-06 ain't though. The 338 WSM makes zero sense to me. I'd choose the 325 WSM over the 338 if that's what you're after.

The selection of 8 mm. bullets is terrible compared with .338. The .338 WSM may make zero sense to you, but to me it makes a lot more sense than the .338 Federal, or the .338 RCM. I wish Winchester would add it to the factory WSM stable. However, with modern bullets I think it's actually overkill for any NA game, except possibly the biggest bears. I'd still feel secure toting a .338-06 (AI or not) in big bear country, personally.

I'll fireform a couple hundred brass or so, and that should last me for, um, long enough. ;-) I might even just get some Weatherby .338-06 brass, so I have a headstamp and get some range time while fireforming. Otherwise, I'll use the "Cream of Wheat" method with .30-06 brass.

However, there's a saying I've heard before, goes something like this. "To each his own..."

True enough. Here's to hoping you rack up many future trophies with your .338 WM. :-)